Protect your systems from these threats
Computer viruses can infiltrate your system and send your data to criminals. It’s vital you employ the following measures:
- Use anti-virus software - developed by a reputable supplier.
- Update regularly - anti-virus software is only effective if it’s up-to-date.
- Scan regularly - check all your computers and media for viruses. This includes all data storage devices coming from outside your business.
- Use virus repair software with caution - you should only do this if you understand the virus characteristics and know that the correct repair is certain.
- Ban unauthorized software - make sure staff only run approved code.
- Keep checking - regularly review the software and data which supports your critical business processes.
- Be suspicious - investigate the presence of unknown files or unauthorized amendments.
- Virus check all e-mail attachments - they are a common source of infection Virus check downloaded software – viruses can be inserted into files on the internet and other external networks.
- Know how to react - set up procedures and responsibilities for reporting and recovering from virus attacks. You should also set up business continuity plans, including data and software back-up and recovery.
- Patch your software - make sure you do this regularly, to make sure your system benefits from the latest protection.
- Test everything - make sure your security systems and procedures actually work, especially your backups.
- Install and maintain a network firewall - if the system can access the internet.
- Use encryption - for data sent across networks.